25.11.07

Sick Kids

I have had to deal with sick kids before, but never my own. It is very difficult. My son has been fighting all sorts of sickness in the last couple of weeks: stomach flu, a cold, pink eye, a double ear infection, and an allergic reaction to a medicine. Fortunately for everyone, he is a cheerful kid and has not been too fussy. But that leads to problems, too.

My main concern is that I don't know when he is in pain. He is too young to comunicate clearly, so I have to watch for signs. But he's so cheery all the time, I don't know if that means he is really doing fine. He is covered head to toe with a red rash. The doctor said it is a reaction to the ear infection medicine, but it looks like chicken pox. I believe the doctor, but I have this instinct to assume he is itchy. I am sure he isn't, but I can't let go of the idea of itchyness.

Meanwhile, I am fighting what is probably the worst cold I've ever had. If he is feeling the same as I am, he must be miserable. But if he were miserable, wouldn't he let me know somehow?

I know I am not nearly done dealing with sick kids in my life. But I am looking forward to my son having enough communication skills to let me know what's wrong with him.

No comments: