9.10.07

Fatherhood and Masculinity

(this is Pacifist Viking)

This week's Time magazine has an article by Lisa Takeuchi Cullen and Lev Grossman called "Fatherhood 2.0," discussing stay-at-home dads, changing expectations of modern fatherhood, and how definitions of masculinity are being changed. Read it if you are so inclined, but two things struck me while reading this article.

First, it feels like an article that was written 20 years ago, today! If you're a father, you're going feel like the article describes the life you take for granted as if it's something new.

Second, I'm just exhausted by by rigid social perceptions and expectations of gender roles. I feel consciously aware of such business, and I actively attempt to analyze and move beyond these stereotypes, but more and more I'm required to recognize that for most, conventional definitions of feminine and masculine behavior are still quite strong.

2 comments:

MCBias said...

Hmm, you may be right, PV. There were parts of that article that didn't seem that surprising to me. Maybe it was just the need to make it seem up to date, but it did have the feel of an article that could have been written any month to fill space.

Unknown said...

As a new stay at home dad, I've gotten a ton of wonderful parenting tips from http://www.dadlabs.com/. It's a terrific recourse; I highly recommend it.