27.8.07

Babies at the Fair

Living in St. Paul, I always feel like a tool if I don't make it to the state fair at least once each year. When I was younger, I went every day, and I had a blast. Lately I haven't been going as much, and for this I blame my husband, who doesn't like fairs, carnivals, parades, festivals, or any sort of fun community events.

Now that I am a mother, I wonder if my visits to the fair will increase or decrease. My son is 7 months old right now; I try to imagine what it would be like to have him there. Would it work to push a big stroller around? Would I need to buy a smaller umbrella stroller for the occasion? Would it be better to wear him in the Baby Bjorn? Where will I be able to comfortably breastfeed? Are there kidnappers and careless drunkards about?

And as he grows, will I need to worry about him running off and getting lost? How much should I expect to spend on food, rides, and souvenirs? It is worth all this stress?

Part of me is tempted to swear off the fair because of the hassle. But then I think back to my childhood; every summer, my family took a trip to Valleyfair and the State Fair. I remember looking forward to it all year. We went early in the morning and stayed all day, and the whole family (even my dad, who worked nights) was a part of it. When I think about these things, I am reminded of how much I love the fair.

Shouldn't I try to provide the same fun traditions for my child that my parents had for me and my sister? I feel like I owe him that. And shouldn't I indulge myself once a year and do something special and exciting? It seems to me a lot of what parents do 'for their children' is actually for themselves. But I don't see anything wrong with that. Parents are hard-working people! We deserve special treatment every now and then, so long as we aren't neglecting our responsibilities to our kids.

I guess I convinced myself--I want to go to the fair. I want to go every year. So I guess this brings me back to my original questions: should I use the big stroller, umbrella stroller, or Baby Bjorn? Breastfeeding? Any ideas?

3 comments:

Jim H. said...

We went to the state fair often when our kids and nieces were little (from age 9 months up to about age 6), They liked it, though we grownups sometimes got a little grumpy and worn out. I think the fair is kid-friendly -- big strollers work fine, especially if you end up with lots of junk. What an amazing amount of crap one can acquire at the fair!

If you wanna go, go!

Cruelty-Free Mommy said...

Thanks, Jim. I'm glad to know your experience, esp. with the big strollers!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm way behind the times, catching up on my reading... but in case you don't know already, the fair has special breastfeeding tents that are actually very nice. And T and I used a backpack carrier--but T carried it, not I.

BTW, did you know I'm having another kid in February? I can't remember whether I mentioned it previously or not.