5.8.07

Materialism and Toys

This is a guest post by Pacifist Viking

You don't want to raise kids to be materialistic; you want kids to grow up knowing there are more important things than possessions.

But as little kids, they need toys. Toys are a necessary part of their development. The toys help them engage with the world. It is with toys that they learn how the world responds to them, and they practice and develop the use of their hands and their eyes and everything else. A baby playing with a toy is learning and reaching out into the world.

So there are all these toys that serve a functional, utilitarian, practical, developmental purpose. But then as we age, we don't need the toys to develop, and the materialism can become a hindrance in many ways (consumer debt is, after all, out of control in this country, and today I heard a sermon about "treasures in heaven" and "treasures on earth").

Oh, don't worry: I'm no secular monk who is going to forbid my child from playing with toys. I played with beloved toys very late into life (as in, I still collect football cards and Star Wars toys), and our son will play with lots and lots of toys.

But Cruelty-Free Mommy and I have done a fairly good job balancing our wants from our needs. We are very responsible with our money, because we know what we can and cannot afford, and what we do and do not need.

And for me, at least, that's a lesson I received from my parents. My parents have provided me with many toys and fun things throughout life (and obviously a lot more support, too). And still, they taught me to save money, to balance "choices and consequences," to be responsible and reasonable, and to know wants from needs. Furthermore, while I do have materialistic desire for things like football cards, this hasn't in any significant way hindered any spiritual yearnings and searchings on my part; I live with the recognition that I will die, and that material possessions mean little to nothing in the big picture.

So as far as I can see, there doesn't have to be a conflict. You can provide children with toys, while still teaching kids to be responsible and reasonable, and still teaching kids that there are bigger spiritual, emotional, and mental needs than possessions can fulfill. It doesn't seem to me that mistakes come from having the toys themselves, but perhaps in how we treat the toys. But providing kids with lots and lots of toys does not in itself make them materialistic people, just like violent entertainment does not in itself make them violent people. If parents do a good job at the more important things (like providing constant love, support, teaching, and time), these other things don't tend to harm.

1 comment:

Cruelty-Free Mommy said...

*This really is Cruelty-Free Mommy*

I think it makes a big difference how aware the child is of the fact that he or she is surrounded by toys. A baby, or even a toddler, uses and needs toys for brain and muscle development. Older kids do, too, but they are also tuned into the commercial nature of society. With older kids (3 and up?), it make sense to me to limit the number of toys to keep them from becoming greedy and entitled.

When I was little, we didn't have enough money for us to have all the fancy expensive toys we saw on TV. We saw it as a good thing, because through conversations with our mom, we pitied the spoiled kids of the world. I thought it was so sad that there were kids in the world who had nothing left to wish for. I feel this perspective mom gave me helped me to appreciate what I have, and as a result I now am pretty good with seperating my wants from needs.