29.7.07

My too-late idea

I recently had an idea that I wish I had come up with a month ago. I assume most children (like mine) enjoy looking at bring colors and lights. Fireworks, therefore, are ideal--they are exciting, sparkly, colorful, and--let's just be honest--they are FIRE in the SKY. This fireworks season, I didn't bring my son to watch any of the action, because I assumed the noises would be scary to a 6 month old (plus, he is well into dreamland by dark!).

Then I thought of this (which other people may have already come up with): headphones. When the next fireworks opportunity arises, I will put headphones on the kid and play some music he enjoys loud enough to distract from the explosions.

Has anyone else beat me to this and actually tried it? I would like to know how well (or poorly) it worked.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Wish I had thought of that idea, but my sons are no longer afraid of the sound of fireworks. Ah well, we have another coming in Sept. to test it on next year.

Cruelty-Free Mommy said...

congratulations! Newborns are awesome.

Pastor Justin said...

Actually Micah never minded the sounds at the ball park fireworks. We thought he would freak but he loved them so much the sounds didn't seem to even register with him. He was 2-4 months at the time.

You might not even need the headphones.