5.7.07

Picture Perfect

I need advice from as many people (parents or not) as possible to help me make an important decision. Yesterday, at the 4th of July parade, a politician came over to talk to us (thanks again, Abe). While there, he picked up my baby and I took a picture. We had a good chuckle together, and then he asked me to email him the photo. I promised him I would.

Today, I was about to send him to picture, but I googled him first to learn more about him. I was not very happy with what I found out. I am sure he is a great guy, but he's a republican. Which isn't such an issue--almost half of politicians in America are. I looked through his info, and he seems to be a supporter of the environment. So, that's good.

However, he is also on the Game, Fish, and Forestry Division committee, which I assume means he is a supporter of hunting and fishing (and that may be a faulty assumption, but who knows). But the biggest thing for me was that he voted against the smoking ban. Who would vote against the smoking ban? Are you kidding me? Seriously. The health of future generations depends on it--not only are kids not exposed to secondhand smoke in public, but they also aren't seeing adults everywhere they go lighting up.

So, now I am faced with a dilemma. Should I keep my promise and send the picture of the politician with my baby? Or should I just forget it? It isn't that the guy is bad or that anyone who has his views is bad, but since I don't support much of what he stands for, I would hate to see the picture used to further his political agenda. I mean, I doubt he just wanted the picture to put in a frame at his house. It must be for the whole baby-kissing image politicians love.

So, should I exploit my baby/beliefs or become a promise-breaker?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for promise-breaker! You never know where that picture of Fox might turn up...

Pacifist Viking said...

I wouldn't--don't let Fox be used to further whatever agenda this politician has that you don't agree with.

Anonymous said...

He also votes against gay rights, and against socialized health care. He votes to not raise taxes on oil, but against raising taxes to help fund education.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/projects/ongoing/votetracker/legislator_view.php?id=192

I would not have my child help elect someone unless they were someone I would vote for.

Cruelty-Free Mommy said...

Thanks, guys. You helped me make the decision I wanted to make. I can live with being a liar in this instance.

Phil said...

I think a letter explaining why you choose not to send the photo is appropriate too.

Cruelty-Free Mommy said...

i got an email comment from a friend saying that I should send him the picture but explain my views and what he supports that I don't. She thinks that looking at the picture will remind him that he should change his ways.